Youth Symphony Orchestra members have the opportunity to audition to perform a concerto of their choice. Auditions for the 2019-2020 competition will be held on Sunday, December 8, beginning at 5:00 PM. One soloist may be chosen to be accompanied by the QCSO in a concerto movement or other short solo work for their instrument and another soloist may be chosen to be similarly accompanied by the YSO. The soloists are chosen by a competition audition committee consisting of, but not limited to, members of the artistic staff from the QCSO. Each student competitor must audition with the repertoire they would perform with the orchestra, if chosen.
Any YSO musician is eligible to participate in the concerto competition if they meet all the following criteria:
- They were a member of the YSO during the fall semester and performed with the orchestra in the November concert.
- They sustain YSO membership during the spring semester.
- The online Concerto Competition Audition Application must be submitted by Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
- Players are permitted to audition either on their YSO instrument or piano.
- Players must audition with a single movement of a concerto or a solo work that has orchestral accompaniment for their instrument.
- Audition repertoire selections must be between five and fifteen minutes in length, including the accompaniment’s introduction, interludes, and codas. No cuts may be taken. If the intended single movement/work is less than five minutes, the student competitor may add another movement from the same work—or a second short piece—which when combined with the first, is fewer than fifteen minutes in length.
- Piano accompaniment is required for the audition.
- Competitors may choose to perform with a collaborative pianist provided by the QCSO or a pianist of their choosing.
Piano accompaniment is required for the audition. Competitors may choose to perform with a collaborative pianist provided by the QCSO or a pianist of their choosing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for accompanist recommendations if you need an accompanist.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM
AUDITION DATE: December 8, 2019 starting at 5:15 PM at Pleasant Valley High School