Youth Symphony Orchestra members have the opportunity to audition to perform a concerto of their choice. Auditions for the 2018-2019 competition will be held on Sunday, December 2, beginning at 5:00 p.m. One soloist may be chosen to be accompanied by the QCSO in a concerto movement or other short solo work for his/her instrument and another soloist may be chosen to be similarly accompanied by the YSO on the Winter Festival concert program. The soloists are chosen by a competition audition committee consisting of, but not limited to, members of the artistic staff from the QCSO. Each student competitor must audition with the repertoire s/he would perform with the orchestra, if chosen.
Any YSO musician is eligible to participate in the concerto competition if they meet all the following criteria:
- They were a member of the YSO during the fall semester and performed with the orchestra in the November concert
- They sustain YSO membership during the spring semester
- The online Concerto Competition Audition Application must be submitted by October 31, 2018
- Players are permitted to audition either on their YSO instrument or piano
- Players must audition with a single movement of a concerto or a solo work that has orchestral accompaniment for his/her instrument
- Audition repertoire selections must be between five and fifteen minutes in length, including the accompaniment’s introduction, interludes, and codas. No cuts may be taken. If the intended single movement/work is less than five minutes, the student competitor may add another movement from the same work—or a second short piece—which when combined with the first, is fewer than fifteen minutes in length
Piano accompaniment is required for the audition. Competitors may choose to perform with a collaborative pianist provided by the QCSO or a pianist of their choosing. Email email@example.com for accompanist recommendations.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. (Noon)
AUDITION DATE: December 2, 2018, Augustana College, 5:00 p.m.